Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!

Yes, I'm talking about chia - the same little seeds used to grow green fur or hair on various terra cotta figures.  Just for grins, search google images for "chia pet" - I never knew there were so many variations.  Hilarious.

Seriously...I do eat the seeds, almost daily.  Chia seeds are a complete protein & contain the perfect balance of omega 6 & omega 3 fatty acids.  They contain soluble & insoluble fiber (make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day when you consume chia seeds, as they absorb many times their weight in water).  Called the "ancient food of the future" by Get Chia, there are so many health benefits attributed to the consumption of chia seeds: energy, cardiovascular health, lowering cholesterol & triglycerides, stabilization of blood sugar, cancer prevention - the list is huge.  I order my seeds from Get Chia; they have extensive information on their website about chia seeds if you want to read more.

One thing I love to do with chia seeds is make pudding.  Here's a great raw version of the classic tapioca pudding, just like Mom used to make.  This one won't spike your blood sugar & then make you want to nap later - instead, it will give you stable & long-lasting energy.




Raw Chia Pudding

2 T almond butter
1 1/2 C water (or more)
1/4 C chia seeds
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (*optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Extra water, if desired

Blend almond butter & water to make a quick, frothy almond milk.  Pour into a bowl & add chia seeds; stir immediately.  The seeds will begin to gel immediately; continue stirring every minute or so for the next few minutes, to prevent the seeds from clumping together as they begin to gel.  Stir in the maple syrup, vinegar & vanilla.  Stir every few minutes over the next 30 minutes or so, & add water if needed to reach desired consistency.  It can either be eaten right away or refrigerated for up to 5 days.  The seeds will continue to gel over time; you may eat it as is or add more water & stir to make the pudding creamy again.  Give it a try!

Variation(s):
This can be made with any kind of nut, seed or coconut milk (or even dairy).  If you're not vegan & not opposed to raw goat's milk, my favorite way to make this is with home made raw goat's milk kefir and a little honey & vanilla...heaven.

(*The reason I add apple cider vinegar to the above recipe is to give it a tanginess similar to kefir.  It's my preference - you can omit it if desired.)

1 comment:

  1. I came to your site because I saw your post on the Coconut Health facebook page. I have been using chia for about 1 1/2 years now since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I just made this pudding recipe. I used coconut water in place of the almond butter and water because the coconut water is sweet by itself so I didn't need to add any maple syrup. I am very glad that I found your recipe. It makes for a nice low carb, nutritious dessert for a diabetic. The coconut water with the vanilla really does make this taste like tapioca pudding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete